Wednesday, December 29, 2010


I finally finished the portrait of Grandma Aileen I've been working on. I was originally going to document it through the whole process of painting but I only took a photo of the original sketch painting and then the finished one. It didn't quite turn out how I was hoping but it's o.k. It is hard painting someone you know so well because you can tell if it just isn't quite right. :) A fun thing about painting a portrait for me is the complete study of the person you are painting. You never look at the person the same way because when you see them you know every plane change and every detail of their face. The hand was especially dificult because in the reference photograph it is in soft focus, which means you have very little detail to go off of. I actually had to make Tom pose his hand for me for the painting.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Annette said...

That's awesome Beth. Great job!