Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Salton Sea with a side of dates

The Salton Sea is a shallow salty lake that was created by a flood in California's Imperial Valley along the San Andreas fault. I once saw a documentary on the Salton Sea and wanted to see it myself. I believe they once tried to make this a resort area but failed miserably. The lake is now surrounded with broken down, rusty buildings. I found myself feeling very uneasy there.


 There is apparently no outflow for the water. This means there isn't enough oxygen in the water and the beach is littered with skeletons. The beach isn't even actual sand - it is crushed sea shells so it crunches as you walk. So for someone with an active imagination all I could think was I'm walking on dead things, walking on dead things. I will NEVER have vacation here. I understood why this place did not flourish like once hoped.
 
 
 Still, something interesting and worth seeing plus a neat little day adventure. Of course no adventure is complete without food. There is a famous date farm (Shields) in Indio that apparently makes famous date shakes. I had to go! Mostly because super cool Anthony Bourdain went here on one of his episodes of "No Reservations" and I am always hungry.  I don't know much about dates, but date shakes are fantastic!





No comments: