Monday, July 25, 2011

River Rafting Adventure in Moab, UT


Moab Utah is one of my favorite places to visit in this state. Friday we packed up our camping gear, took the dogs to Rick and Cheri's and headed off to Moab to meet up with Audrey, Mark, Karla and Pat.

We camped in an area called Hittle Bottom Campground. This is where we would leave in the raft and then we would shuttle back in a car the 13 miles back to camp from the drop out point.


The weather was perfect, the water refreshing and the company fabulous. By Saturday afternoon sitting in the boat lazily making our way down the river I decided I was never leaving. :)

Saturday's raft ride went beautifully. We had so much fun that we decided to go again on Sunday. Sunday was the same - relaxing and beautiful. We did have one small adventure which I shall dramatically share. :P

We hit some rapids that were a little wilder than the ones we'd gone through before. They were fun and we were having a great time - then we hit a rapid that was basically a hole. Unfortunately we didn't quite have the momentum we needed to get over the wave and it was basically like hitting a brick wall. ALL six of us were ejected from the raft. I don't even remember anyone else going in - I just hit the water and immediately was sucked down. It was strange how one second there was the roaring of the water and the next it was completely silent. I must have hit some sort of current that dragged me down because I felt my self doing a back flip under water. (I'm not sure if I only did one or two) It is incredible how slow time feels and how simple your thoughts are when you feel in danger. I had one thought when I was doing a back flip and it was simply "breathe slowly out of your nose". The back flip brought me under the boat and my next simple thought was just to get out from under the boat. I found the edge and my head was out of the water. Looking back I realize I couldn't have been stuck underwater for more than 5 to 7 seconds but it felt like I was under there for a very long time. The most frightening part was once out of the water thinking - Where is everyone! All of us were alright and holding on to the boat. I was really impressed that no one panicked and we all immediately found a way to hold on to the boat and not get separated from it. Once I realized everyone was o.k. I couldn't help but laugh as we rode the rest of the rapids feet forward. One arm holding the rope of the raft and holding my breath as each rapid we crossed dunked us under again. The only loss of the day was a few pairs sunglasses, a squirt gun and a couple hats! They even managed to save all the oars. We all felt very lucky that the situation didn't get any uglier and that we were all wearing our life jackets. Over all quite the little adventure and I'm ready to raft some more! We treated ourselves to an all you can eat pizza buffet afterwards and felt it was much deserved. What a great crew - and what a lesson learned. I will never be on a river without a life jacket and when I'm in a rapid you will see me paddling so fast you won't believe your eyes!

I just love how I look like I got thrown from a train not a raft and Audrey looks ready for the red carpet. lol




No comments: